Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Song: No Greater Love

You loved me, when I was so unlovely,
You sought me when I was lost;
You showed me how much You really loved me,
When You bought me at the highest cost.

Chorus:
There’s no greater love than this,
There’s no greater love than this,
That a man would give his life for a friend;
There’s no higher sacrifice than a man would give his life,
You have paid a precious price for me.

You chose me, when I was so unworthy,
You cleansed me with Your own blood;
You clothed me with righteousness and mercy,
And You crowned me with Your steadfast love.
Another great song that speaks about the substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ. The phrases "You loved me, when I was so unlovely" and "You chose me, when I was so unworthy" emphasizes on the doctrine of unconditional election, where we are chosen by God not on the basis of our human efforts, but on the account of His mercy.

"When You bought me at the highest cost" hints at the Covenant of Redemption where God the Son, Jesus Christ, bought us from God the Father by dying on the cross.

The doctrine of total depravity is shown at the phrase "You sought me when I was lost." We were utterly lost in sin and were unable to choose God by our own unregenerate wills. God sought us out and made us alive in Christ.

"You clothed me with righteousness and mercy" is based upon the Protestant doctrine of imputed righteousness. We are reckoned to be righteous because of Christ's righteousness, not because of our own righteousness.

This song can be found in the Integrity Music's album, Firm Foundation, which features John Chisum as the worship leader.

Listen to a 30 sec. MP3 sample of "No Greater Love" by John Chisum. File size: 120 KB.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home